The National Bank Open, formerly Rogers Cup


March 13, 2020

TENNIS CANADA UPDATE for 2020 Rogers Cup presented by National Bank

The safety and welfare of our customers, players, partners and employees is Tennis Canada’s top priority. Tennis Canada is closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and remains in daily contact with the Public Health Agency of Canada and the different tennis organizations within which we operate on this matter. Public Health Agency of Canada’s current assessment is that the risk of COVID-19 continues to be low in Canada. Therefore, as of today there are no plans to postpone or cancel the Rogers Cup in Montreal and in Toronto which is scheduled in 5 months (August 8-16 in Toronto and August 7-16 in Montreal). We continue to operate and prepare to set a world-class event for all of our stakeholders.

That being said, we will be prepared to make any changes if deemed necessary. While we recognize the Public Health Agency of Canada’s current assessment that the risk of COVID-19 continues to be low in Canada, Tennis Canada has implemented additional measures to our existing health and safety protocols for our employees, as well as suspending all of our National events scheduled up until the week of April 6 to protect our players and the larger tennis community and combat the COVID-19 pandemic.

On March 12, the ATP, the WTA and the ITF announced a complete suspension of all of their activities for a period of time varying between three and six weeks due to escalating health and safety issues as a result of the global outbreak of COVID-19. The suspension means that all events scheduled for the coming weeks will not take place. The safety and welfare of players, their entourage, spectators and our tournament event staff must be everyone’s priority at this point in time. Therefore, we understand and support the decision made by the ATP, the WTA and the ITF as we consider it was the right thing to do.

Tennis Canada will remain in daily contact with government officials and various tennis organizations to monitor developments of the situation in the coming weeks and months. We look forward to the return of these tour events once the situation has improved.

We will continue to communicate any changes to all stakeholders.

Thank you for your support and for respecting public health and safety practices.